The hazards arising from the use of liquid nitrogen are;
- Asphyxiation in oxygen deficient atmosphere may lead to death.
- Cold burns, frostbite and hypothermia.
- Over pressurization from the large volume expansion of the liquid.
- Combustion and explosion hazard from oxygen enrichment of atmosphere
- Embrittlement. – Liquid nitrogen can cause many materials to become brittle.
The expected exposure routes for liquid/gaseous nitrogen are inhalation and skin exposure (ingestion of liquid nitrogen is considered unlikely).